What Is The Amerigroup Medicare Advantage 2023?
What Is The Amerigroup Medicare Advantage 2023? Amerigroup Medicare Advantage 2023 Amerigroup plans offer competitive rates and $0-premium options, but quality and member satisfaction are below average.
Amerigroup Medicare Advantage facts.
Amerigroup Medicare Advantage pros and cons
Amerigroup has pros and cons.
- Seven of 10 Amerigroup Medicare Advantage plans have no premium.
- Some Amerigroup Medicare Advantage plans include “Everyday Extras” that let members choose two extra benefits, such as money for assistive devices, healthy groceries, or dental, eye, or hearing care.
- Amerigroup members receive 24/7 nurse line access.
- Seven states offer Amerigroup Medicare Advantage plans. Amerigroup’s competitors are bigger.
- Amerigroup plans’ average star rating from CMS, weighted by enrollment, is 3.21 stars (the national average for all providers is 4.15 stars), and Amerigroup’s parent business, Elevance Health, ranked seventh out of nine providers in JD Power’s latest member satisfaction research.
- Amerigroup’s stand-alone medication plans get 2 stars from CMS.
Available Medicare Advantage plans
Structure, pricing, and benefits vary among Amerigroup Medicare Advantage plans. Amerigroup offers MAPDs, stand-alone prescription drug plans, and Medicare Advantage plans without drug coverage.
HMOs require you to use a certain network of doctors and hospitals. Your main doctor may send you to a specialist, and out-of-network benefits are limited. PPO plans allow you to see any provider who accepts the insurance.
Read: What Is a Homeowners Insurance Declarations Page?
You may not require a primary doctor and specialised referrals. Out-of-network care may cost more than in-network.
SNPs limit participation to those with certain diseases or traits. So, the advantages, network, and prescription formularies are customised. Amerigroup’s SNPs are:
Available Part D prescription drug plans
Amerigroup distributes stand-alone Part D PDPs in Arizona and Texas. Most of its Medicare Advantage plans include Part D drug coverage.
These plans pay Medicare Part A and Part B medication costs, but not medical costs.
Amerigroup sells stand-alone prescription drug plans in two states: basic and “plus” with expanded coverage. Dallas residents have two Amerigroup options:
- Amerihealth Rx (PDP).
- AmeriPlus Rx (PDP).
Here’s how those two plans compare:
Amerivantage Rx Basic (PDP)
Amerivantage Rx Plus (PDP)
*For a 30-day supply of a covered Part D prescription drug at a preferred retail pharmacy after meeting any applicable deductible.
Plan premiums, deductibles, covered medicines, tier fees, and pharmacy agreements vary. Amerigroup’s website lets you enter your prescriptions and pharmacy to see which plans cover them.
Amerigroup Medicare Advantage plans feature built-in benefits and optional “Everyday Extras.” Some instances, however plan availability varies:
- SilverSneakers members can access live and pre-recorded online workout classes.
- Members may receive a fitness tracker to assist them reach their goals.
- Members with chronic conditions requiring specific nutrition may receive two meals every day for 90 days.
- Members may receive a quarterly allowance for over-the-counter, non-prescription products.
- Certain chronic diseases may qualify members for pest control.
- Members can call a nurse 24/7.
- Members may be covered for rides to and from plan-approved places.
- Plans featuring “Everyday Extras” let members choose two extra advantages, such as money for assistive devices or hours of in-home companionship.
Here’s how Amerigroup members can contact customer service:
Amerigroup Medicare Advantage service area
Seven states provide Amerigroup Medicare Advantage. The company offers two Medicare drug plans.
Elevance Health, Amerigroup’s parent business, is the country’s second-largest health insurer.
Plan, geography, and health needs affect Medicare Advantage costs. The plan’s premium is a cost. 7/10 Amerigroup Medicare Advantage plans have $0 premiums.
Monthly consolidated premiums for 2023 Medicare Advantage plans with a premium ranging from $9.30 to $19.20. Monthly SNP premiums range from $17 to $35.20.
Even with Medicare Advantage, you must pay your Medicare Part B premium of $170.10 per month in 2022 ($164.90 in 2023), but some plans cover part or all of this expense. If your income is above a specific threshold, you’ll pay more.
Other out-of-pocket costs to consider include:
- The plan’s Medicare Part B premium coverage.
- Annual deductibles and additional deductibles, including a prescription deductible.
- Each visit or treatment requires copayments or coinsurance.
- For example, your basic doctor may cost $10 and a specialist $45.
- In-network and out-of-network deductibles.
- How often you can see an out-of-network doctor.
- Extra perks and whether the plan costs for them.
Use Medicare’s plan finder to compare local pricing. You can select Amerigroup plans or compare across carriers. Amerigroup’s website lets you shop by ZIP code.
3.21 average enrollment-weighted stars
CMS ranks Medicare Advantage and Part D plans from best (5 stars) to poorest (1 star) (1 star). The agency rates plans based on care quality and customer satisfaction, and ratings may alter annually.
Amerigroup’s 2023 Medicare Advantage plans receive 3.21 stars, weighted by enrollment. No Amerigroup Medicare Advantage plans have more than 3.5 stars. 
All plans average 4 stars .15
Where did Amerigroup outperform?
CMS uses 40 plan elements to rate contracts. CMS Star Ratings Technical Notes define each factor. Amerigroup plans scored 4.5 or above on the following measures:
Where did Amerigroup struggle?
Half of Amerigroup’s categories averaged below 3.0. CMS Star Ratings Technical Notes define each factor.
Two companies offer opinions on health plans and company strength:
AM Best Financial Strength Rating: A (Excellent)
AM Best rates insurance companies. AM Best reiterated its A Financial Strength Rating for Anthem, now Elevance Health’s Blue Cross Blue Shield-branded insurance businesses in December 2021.
JD Power Ranking: 7th out of 9
JD Power examined member satisfaction with Medicare Advantage plans based on coverage and benefits, physician choice, pricing, customer service, information and communication, and billing and payment.
Elevance Health, Amerigroup’s parent company, got 791 out of 1,000 and ranked sixth among Medicare Advantage providers.
Compare Medicare Advantage providers
Learn more about Medicare Advantage providers below. These insurers serve most states. ZIP code and county determine available plans.
About Elevance Health (formerly Anthem)
Elevance Health, Amerigroup’s parent business, merged WellPoint Health Networks and Anthem in 2004. Amerigroup became Elevance Health in 2022, but it still distributes Medicare Advantage plans under the Amerigroup brand.
Elevance Health offers commercial health insurance for individuals and organisations, Medicare Advantage and Medicaid plans, and life, disability, dental and vision insurance.
Elevance Health’s 2021 sales was $138.6 billion.